Thursday, May 13, 2010

If the normal person you married became a hoarder and refused to change would you divorce them?

I know a hoarder and have developed a feeling of disgust/repulsion when I think of them because of how their useless consumption and what their house looks like. They were once normal. If I were married to one I can't imagine putting up with it.If the normal person you married became a hoarder and refused to change would you divorce them?
Hoarding is a symptom of a deeper illness. I don't know about divorce but I would not live with them any more. To live with, is to enable the behavior. If he never changed, I suppose over the years I might want a divorce but I can't say for sure.


And I agree, the behavior is repulsive.If the normal person you married became a hoarder and refused to change would you divorce them?
Hoarding is sometimes a sign of previous abuse or neglect as a child. My grandma grew up in the Great Depression era of the 1930s and went through bad times with little food, and alot of siblings. She was a hoarder. Not too bad, but still annoying. I think the person needs your help and compassion. It's a difficult thing, but realize that they probably have fears and hoarding settles those fears. I think my grandmother was always afraid that we were going to have another Great Depression. Maybe this person fears that bad things will happen too.
No way would I divorce them. I'd try to find somewhere cheap to put all their stuff. Shoot if it bothered me that bad I'd move out, but not get a divorce. Make them come to my house as much as possible.
If you loved the person then you would learn to deal with it one way or another. It doesn't neccesarily mean letting the other person just indulge in their obsession. It means helping them thru the whole situation. It's a mental illness that manifests and most of the time just gets worse. Jay Leno recently said he was a hoarder but his wife keeps him in check by just throwing stuff out like his mom did. When you are married, you must find a way to work thru your problems and you can't give up on someone because of this. I'm sure you wouldn't leave your spouse if they became diabetic down the road bc you were used to them being ';normal';. You find a way no matter what.
Yes if they couldn't overcome it. No offense but I wouldn't be able to live that way. I feel sorry for the kids and spouses who has a person that does it.
Maybe....? I really dont kno but probably no I would try to get them help, or when they're not around I'd try to throw away a few things a day to get rid of the clutter little by little so they dont notice
I can't imagine myself living in a place full of junk , this will irritate me greatly . The problem can be solved by reasoning and talking if not then by force , meaning to throw away all the junk even if that will get them mad because they don't want to listen to reason . I wouldn't let something wrong to go on without taking an action and force what I see right . But divorce , no of course not , there is always a way to solve things without getting a divorce . If these people are parents then it is different as one is not going to live with them forever,and they should receive special , very kind and patient treatment .

No comments:

Post a Comment