Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Why can't I contribute to a Roth IRA under the married but separate filling status?

I am married but separated from my spouse. I also contribute to a Roth IRA. I will be using the married but separate filing status. I read that I could not do this. What should I do when tax time comes around?Why can't I contribute to a Roth IRA under the married but separate filling status?
Did you live with your spouse at any time during the year? That's the actual test.





If you flunk, you call the custodian and withdraw the money.Why can't I contribute to a Roth IRA under the married but separate filling status?
You can't make the contribution because that's what the law says.





If you don't qualify, your choices are to roll out the contributions and pay the tax on any gain OR change your filing status to Married Filing Jointly.
How long have you been separated, and is it a legal separation? You may be considered single for the purpose of filing a tax return. There are specific tests for this status. Check with a tax pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment