Thursday, May 13, 2010

I am Brazilian and just got married to an American. I am on a student visa in America. How do I apply for PR?

How do I go about applying for permanent residence? How long will it take? Can I get citizenship after that?I am Brazilian and just got married to an American. I am on a student visa in America. How do I apply for PR?
Well, there's a fair amount of paperwork involved. your American spouse will need to file an I-130 immigrant visa petition, an I-485 adjustment of status form, and a work authorization request. It's a bit expensive,over $1300, and all the forms need to be filed together or things will get messed up. It takes quite a while for USCIS to get it all done, up to two years sometimes, but you'll be here legally while you wait, and you'll be able to work. You can't leave the US though while it's all being done unless you get Advance Parole first. If you leave without it, you won't be able to return until you have an immigrant visa. Check out uscis.gov for more information and downloadable forms, and read the instruction form for the I-485 very carefully. I am Brazilian and just got married to an American. I am on a student visa in America. How do I apply for PR?
you don't till your papers come back

No comments:

Post a Comment