Saturday, January 23, 2010

Can I be considered a dependent even though I am married?

My family %26amp; I are trying to determine whether I can still be claimed for this tax year by my dad. I'm 22, was married in July, and a full-time student through June. My parents paid for my wedding and all of my education, health, and transportation expenses, so with my income alone, I meet the requirement for not supporting half of myself. However, we were wondering whether my income for the year is considered mine alone, or that of myself %26amp; my husband.


Any ideas? If not an answer, any ideas about where I could find one? My accountant doesn't know.Can I be considered a dependent even though I am married?
this is a difficult question. there are 4 tests you have to pass. the age test, which you do as long as you are a fulltime student. abode test, which means that if you lived with you parents for more then half the year, relationship test, you do, but the support test doesn't fit, you will have to look at the qualifying relative test, but income is a factor there. So have another look at the support test. There is nothing that specifically says that if you are married that will disqualify you. good luck.Can I be considered a dependent even though I am married?
You cannot be a ';dependent'; for your parents. You can file married (joint) or married filing separately.
No, I don't think so, Not only are you over 18, you are married, so you are not dependent on your Dad financially.


Your income is your own. If you were not working then you would be dependent on your husband.


This is my opinion anyway.


Since this is a tax question, I would find an accountant with the answers.

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnose with genital warts since 2012 i have be taking lot treatment and all i got is outbreak. in 2015 I gave up the treatment because I can't continues wasting time and money on treatment at the end it will not cure me. about 6 weeks ago i did natural research online I had So many people talking good about natural remedy, after the research i was recommended to Dr onokun, And I wrote to him through his email and told him my problem after some conversations with him he gave me natural treatment after 1 week Dr onokun treated me i got cured permanently. and i went to see my doc he confirmed that the diseases has gone out from my body. every patients should know there is 100% natural hpv cure. contact Dr onokun his email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete