Thursday, January 21, 2010

Does obtaining JUST a marriage license make you legally married?

My sister is getting married next year and because both her and her fiancee are Lao (country of Laos) they will have a traditional Lao wedding in either Massachusetts or New Hampshire.





Because a traditional Lao wedding ceremony involves an older, respected member of the community to over see the ceremony, there is no religious element to this.





So, if they obtain their marriage license in either state, does that make them legally married? Do they need a judge or justice of the peace to make it official?





Thanks!Does obtaining JUST a marriage license make you legally married?
No, most states require a minister or other officiant's signature for it to be a valid statement of marriage.Does obtaining JUST a marriage license make you legally married?
The license is simply written approval to get married; it's not a marriage certificate. They'll still need a JP or a judge to legalize the ceremony.
Debi nailed it - you still need a JP or Judge to sign off on the marriage license - which in turn becomes a marriage certificate once its filed with the Clerk of the Courts office
Obtaining a license does not make you married. It requires a ceremony.
No you have to be sworn in !!

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnose with genital warts since 2012 i have be taking lot treatment and all i got is outbreak. in 2015 I gave up the treatment because I can't continues wasting time and money on treatment at the end it will not cure me. about 6 weeks ago i did natural research online I had So many people talking good about natural remedy, after the research i was recommended to Dr onokun, And I wrote to him through his email and told him my problem after some conversations with him he gave me natural treatment after 1 week Dr onokun treated me i got cured permanently. and i went to see my doc he confirmed that the diseases has gone out from my body. every patients should know there is 100% natural hpv cure. contact Dr onokun his email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete