Sunday, January 17, 2010

Why do old married men always talk to me about their problems ?

My older male co-workers are always telling me their problems.


Should I start charging 5 cents like Lucy ?Why do old married men always talk to me about their problems ?
hahaha! Nah, Lucy was charging nickels 70 years ago. Adjust upward for inflation.





They're probably just a little lonely for a kind and patient listener. Obviously, they think highly of you. As long as they're not going off on uncomfortable topics, like ';I'm considering taking the little blue pill for a spin'; ... as opposed to something more innocent, like ';What do you think? Shall I get that little blue 'vette?'; ... it's most likely a compliment.





If you can't get work done because of conversation, look at your watch and say ';Oh my gosh! I needed to call Ms. Pedersen by one!'; or something similar, and excuse yourself. They shouldn't take it personally, and you never know. These old cats might make really good references for you someday. There are certainly worse problems to have, Lucy. :)Why do old married men always talk to me about their problems ?
make it .07...you gotta pay taxes on that nickle
It sounds like you have been a good listener to people at work. They notice this and decide that you are someone whom they can confide in. My advice is to take it in stride and offer as good advice as you can get. If it gets uncomfortable you have to let them know about it. If you don't wish to be ';that'; person, take a book to read on breaks and lunches, and sit apart from others.
you listen
You probably look like the motherly type and they feel comfortable around you. And they see nothing wrong with talking to you. You should feel flatter you have been chosen.


Charging them will make you look cheap and unwilling to listen.


Why not turn the tables on them and start telling them yours, sure they will get the message that you don't really want to hear what they have to say anymore...
Times have changed. 5 cents is way too low. I'd start around 7 dollars.
lol, maybe you'd make good money with your psyquiatric consult, if you find only ONE Charlie, rigth?..





I like your question because your case is something that is more common than we think.





I guess, i am usually very positive and not prejudice (guess i said, because that's my perception of my self). But in this case i'll tend to be pesimist and prejudice.





Be very careful, because lot of man find it easy to get close to a girl, trougth the confidence and winning. I guess that's because we, women, enjoy so much being a good friend, and provide comfort and relief to friends - specially if they are men. Think about it, it makes all of us feel so good, so loved and so recognized.





And remember all men / and women/ have problems, and all of us have to find the way to solve or pass trougth it. But men like to find support and to be listenned so much, and they tend to change that later to try something else with the girl.





That's a potencial danger, maybe it's not the case, but to be very realistic, it happens all the time. Sooner or later he'll try to hit on you, i'm almost sure.





It used to happen to me very often, i guess is not because i'm so atractive, i guess i am really the good friend kind of girl, i'm good listening and i like a lot to give advices, and all of that.





But many times it happens to me that they attempt something else later on. To tell you the trueth, it even became atractive, to be with this guy, who ';needs'; me, and i was alone at the moment. But thank to god, and maybe my own common sense, i didn't get into that game.





I really hope is not your case, but be careful with this, take it slowly and make him realize that you won't play any games with him. Or maybe you'll just have to stop it.





I don't know, i cannot tell you what to do, but i just want to tell you what i think about this.





Remember in Sex and the Citty, when Carrie Bradshaw found this old guy, who was acting like a father and giving her advices to get her articule for Vogue done? . What did he want finally?.... that's what i'm talking about.
Maybe you give out good advice.
yes ill start a tab
If it annoys you, maybe you make yourself too available. Keep busy, keep out of their way. Or, maybe just get assertive and say something like, '; Mr. Smith, I think you're a nice guy, but I think we should confine our conversations to work-related topics. It makes me uncomfortable when you talk about your personal problems.'; Also, be sure you're not confiding your personal issues with them.
they needed someone to talk . Perhaps you are a person whom they can trust, the reason why they shared their problems with you. If you are younger to them, they want to know fresh views from you.
You must have an honest face and seem very present!

No comments:

Post a Comment