Thursday, January 21, 2010

I just married a Philippine woman in the US, How do I get her residency?

I am a man. US citizen. I want to get residency for my new wife.I just married a Philippine woman in the US, How do I get her residency?
If she came to the US on a visa, other than a K-1 filed by someone else, or a C1/D, you'd be able to file immigrant papers for her and she'd be able to get her residency without leaving the US. If she came without a visa, or the other conditions applied, she'd have to leave the US and get her immigrant visa back home.





You'd have to file an I-130 immigrant visa petition for her, an I-485 adjustment of status request, a work authorization request and other documents as well. Check out uscis.gov for more information, downloadable forms and take a good look at the fees as well. It will cost you well over $1,000 to do it all, but you need to file everything together to make it work. I just married a Philippine woman in the US, How do I get her residency?
You should have ask that question before you married her. Is she even legal to be here. If she is, you need to talk to immigration. THe Philippine consulate might help with tis matter too. A lawyer would be helpful with these matters as well. If she isn't legal, I would strongly suggest you talk to a lawyer. Immigration might have some questions as to why she is here and how you got married, if she wasnt legally here in the first place. Remember, this site is filled with idiots giving advice, which I may be one of them.. Lawyers are the best source for answers and I believe their first consultation is free.
Contact the USCIS on line. But i would talk to an atty first there are a lot of drawbacks for marrying first before applying. There are several sttys online. My buddy used one it cost him $500. Also the fees just doubled to get her a visa. My wife is from the Philippines still trying to get her here. The govt. lost the papers i sent in for her twice. I am angry.
You were supposed to do that before you got married.

No comments:

Post a Comment