Sunday, January 17, 2010

Do you get grants for college if you are married?

I am currently in college and I have heard people get tons of financial aid if they are married through college. Does anyone have any information on this subject? (how it works, how I would go about doing this, etc.)Do you get grants for college if you are married?
For federal and state grants the answer is simply no. You don't get more money because you are married. The max and minimum pell grant is the same weather you are married or not.





For federal loans the answer is yes. When you are classifed as an independent student, the maximum amount you can borrow goes up by two thousand dollars a year. Loans you have to pay back, so this isn't exactly a perk in my book.


Do you get grants for college if you are married?
I am married and I have 3 kids. I just registered for college and I got a Hope grant (Ga) and Pell grant to help with my college courses. Also because I got my GED I also get a 500.00 voucher to go towards my education. So in short yes you can get fin. aid even if you are married.





Your best bet is to talk to your fin. aid office. They can help you fill out the paperwork and answer all your questions.





ETA: I don't specifically know if one gets more or not. I know people who are married and only got a tiny bit of book allowance and then people like me who pretty much got a free ride and are married. Just depends on your EFC and income.

No comments:

Post a Comment