Thursday, January 21, 2010

If I get married in Costa Rica, will I automatically get an extension of the 90 day tourist visa?

I go to CR in 3 weeks. When I get married, supposedly the lawyer says I get a paper that says I have rights to stay more than 90 days. Is this the case? I don't want to have problems when I come back to the US to visit family after 90 days. Thanks for your answers!If I get married in Costa Rica, will I automatically get an extension of the 90 day tourist visa?
here is what the US travel says:


Costa Rican authorities generally permit U.S. citizens to stay up to ninety days; to stay beyond the period granted, travelers must # submit an application for an extension to the Office of Temporary Permits in the Costa Rican Department of Immigration. #Tourist visas are usually not extended except under special circumstances, and extension requests are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. There is a departure tax for short-term visitors. Tourists who stay over ninety days may experience a delay at the airport when departing. Persons who overstayed previously may be denied entry to Costa Rica.


you will have to ask for an extension at immigration if you would like to stay longer than 90 days,If I get married in Costa Rica, will I automatically get an extension of the 90 day tourist visa?
glad i was of help, thank you :-)

Report Abuse



Nothing is automatic. Please see the sites listed below to read about your rights and options. You definitely should consider obtaining some kind of Costa Rica residency, which will be no problem as long as you're married to a Costa Rica national/citizen, especially if he is living there or has immediate family there.
The paper you received should allow you to lawfully exit and return to the USA.





First, let me extend my congratulations on your upcoming marriage. I wish you much happiness.





The last thing I want to do is give you legal advice. In my experience, that is very dangerous without having all the facts and I certainly do not have all the facts pertinent to your situation.





Immigration law is very tricky and complicated. If you have a competent immigration lawyer, you should rely on his/her advice.





However, in general, your rights depend on your immigration status. They may also be impacted by the status of the person you are marrying.





For example, if you are marrying a U.S. citizen, who has an approved I-130 Application for you as his/her spouse, you should be able to take that and your marriage certificate into the US Embassy in CR and get a green card, which would make you a permanent resident.





If you have a green card, you should be able to come and go as you please, so long as you don't stay outside the USA too long.





On the other hand, from your question, it sounds like you are not already a permanent resident in the USA and that the person you are marrying is not a US citizen.





That paper you are referring to is probably what is known as an ';advance parole.'; It gives you permission to leave and lawfully return to the USA.





If that is the case, you should have your lawyer explain your rights to you and put them in writing (preferably in both English and Spanish).





That way not only you will know what you can and cannot do, but so will the immigration officers who are considering readmitting you.





Immigration laws in this country and Immigration Officers in particular have a bias against allowing people lawfully immigrate.





Many immigration officers are very hostile toward immigrants and look for any excuse to prevent people from lawfully immigrating or staying here.





It does not matter whether there is clearly a legal way for you to stay, if you check the wrong box on a form or are told by immigration officers to use a form that turns out not to be the right one, they will exclude you.





It does not matter that you relied on information given to you by an immigration officer. You can not rely on what they tell you. If it is wrong, it is your problem, not theirs.





Many times they don鈥檛 allow you to make corrections or to go back and select the correct form. It is unfair, but that is the way it is.





The system is very complicated and is constantly changing. This complexity and the hostile attitude of many immigration officers often results in immigrants making technical mistakes that would be overlooked in courts and elsewhere in this country, but are used as a block to lawful entry by the immigration service personnel.





As a result, often times people who should be allowed to stay lawfully, are barred by these hyper-technicalities and are forced to return to their native lands or to remain illegally.





That is why having the lawyer鈥檚 instructions in Spanish (for you) and in English (for the immigration officer, if needed) would be a good idea鈥?Just in case you need it.





It appears that you have an attorney representing you. Follow his/her advice and you should be ok.





Hope this helps.

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnose with genital warts since 2012 i have be taking lot treatment and all i got is outbreak. in 2015 I gave up the treatment because I can't continues wasting time and money on treatment at the end it will not cure me. about 6 weeks ago i did natural research online I had So many people talking good about natural remedy, after the research i was recommended to Dr onokun, And I wrote to him through his email and told him my problem after some conversations with him he gave me natural treatment after 1 week Dr onokun treated me i got cured permanently. and i went to see my doc he confirmed that the diseases has gone out from my body. every patients should know there is 100% natural hpv cure. contact Dr onokun his email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete