Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Does a nursing career provide good flexibility for a married working mother?

As background, I currently work part time (haha- 45 hours a week) as an accountant. Am considering going to nursing school so that I would be able to have some more flexibility in hours to spend time with my daughter. A big concern of my husband's is that he would never see me- he works a 9 to 5 day job. How much of a concern is this? Any nurses out there that could give an opinion?Does a nursing career provide good flexibility for a married working mother?
I'm am not a nurse but I work with nurses. Nursing shifts are usually 12 hours shifts in the hospitals. You typically do three 12 hour shifts then take 4 days off. When you first start off as a nurse you will probably be doing night shifts. You can also be nurse in a psych unit, or nursing home, etc. These hours are the normal 8 or 10 hour shifts.





I tried to get into nursing school. It is hard to get in. I gave up after 3 years. But if you are determined you can get in. From the people I've talked to who have been in nursing school. It is hell. Most if not all nursing programs ask that you do not work at all for the 2 years or that you work 1 or two days a week at most or that your work hours or flexible. You will need to study everyday and be good at memorizing vast amounts of information.Does a nursing career provide good flexibility for a married working mother?
I went into nursing for the flexibility. I originally have a degree in education, but wanted to be home with my children, so a few years after the first was born, I earned an Associate in Nursing (ASN). I started off on part-time evenings (3p-11p) for a while, then went to a modified weekend option (3 weekends a month from 11am-11pm). Depending on what area you work in, you could get days with an occasional on-call shift. ( General Surgery, Cardiac Cath lab, endoscopy are all areas that primarily function on a M-F, day shift.) Best wishes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment