Friday, January 15, 2010

Why do dating years stop counting when you get married?

I am just looking for opinions as this is something I've always wondered. Because you date someone, sometimes for a very long period of time before you get married. You celebrate your anniversaries of dating and all that stuff, then you get engaged and eventually married and when you get married all of the sudden those years of being together really don't add to the count as everyone just starts that time over after their wedding. Why don't those years of being together matter as much?Why do dating years stop counting when you get married?
Because you are no longer celebrating the time you have been dating, you are celebrating the time you have been husband and wife. People ask and you tell them you have been together for X number of years and married for X number. It's a separate occasion to celebrate.Why do dating years stop counting when you get married?
I don't think you stop counting the time you've been together. My HTB and I will be together for almost 9 years by the time we get married, if anyone we meet asks how long we've been married at that point I will say, ';well, 1 month, but we've been together for 9 years.';





I also plan on celebrating our 10th anniversary of being together (almost right after our 1 year wedding anniversary) since a lot of couples don't make it that long.





I think that as time goes on and you are married longer then some couples just drop the dating count since it might not be very long or because it's not that big of a portion of their time together anymore.
Like the first post said. (Well said by the way! :D)





Anyways, my husband and I still celebrate the anniversary of when we started dating, but on a much less scale. We just have a quite night in to our selves, nothing fancy. That's most because our daughter was born on our dating anniversary. For our wedding anniversary, we do something a little more special than our dating anniversary. You can still celebrate both anniversaries if you want to, but friends and family only concern themselves with the wedding anniversary.
They mattered to me. My husband just died. We lived with each other for 10 yrs and married to each other 9 years. We have a 17 yr old and a 13 yr old. When I wrote the obituary I claimed to be his wife for the entire 19 years. In my eyes we were one from the start. We had a commitment before the marriage. Thats when the anniversaries count. The comitted years. If you are in a comittment and marry later all the years DO count. That's how all of the longer marriages reach 25 and 50 year anniversaries How often do you actually know of someone who


got married after the first week month or year of their relationship and wound up reaching golden and silver anniversaries. Once your heart is comitted to one another Start counting.
Well me and my husband will have been married for a year in March, but the 3rd of Jan. was our ';dating anniversary'; it was 5yrs. We didnt really do anything to celebrate, i just got him a little card since 5 years is a long time. To me, I think of it as we've been together 5 years married for one. Because those years before yall were married still mean something :)
Well, of course you will still mentally count those years. They still matter. But most people seem to just celebrate their wedding anniversary once they get married.





This is exactly why my long, long-time partner wanted us to get married on our current anniversary so we wouldn't be dealing with two anniversaries, lol.
they still do to me after my husband and i get married we will celebrate it still.. But i dont celebrate every year big i mean of course we go on the date for the day every year on the day we started dating or got married on but only the big one like 5th ann or 10th u know...
Dating is private. Marriage is public - an official, public ceremony and subsequent status with legal and social ramifications. They're two different animals. It's not that dating isn't important, but marriage trumps it.
I think they still matter. My husband and I still celebrate our dating anniversary every year.
dating years stop being counted when you get married because you are not dating anymore. You are in a steady relationship, so you would be counting marriage years now. hope i could help. Chloe -X
Because when you get married - you become as one.


When you are dating you are still two separate individuals.
Because you arent dating anymore you are together by law.

No comments:

Post a Comment