Friday, January 15, 2010

Can I apply marriage license in US and get married (ordained by my friend) in another country?

I am planning to have my wedding ceremony in Prague but won't arrive early enough to get all paperwork done. We plan to get my marriage license here and then ordained by my friend. Can I have my friend ordained at the ceremony in Prague? Or do we have to do it in US?Can I apply marriage license in US and get married (ordained by my friend) in another country?
The license is only valid in the jurisdiction it is issued in. In the US a marriage license issued in one county (that's county not country) is not generally valid in any other county. To be married in Prague you must get a license in Prague and have the ceremony performed by a minister legally recognized by the local government.





Vote for me!!Can I apply marriage license in US and get married (ordained by my friend) in another country?
no
No. If you get a marriage license in the US, it is only valid in the state where you get it. Some states go so far as to say that it is only valid in that particular county.





The whole friend being ordained thing is only valid in the US and some states don't recognize it while most do.
You'll need to double check the laws there, but I'm pretty much 100% sure that you can't get a US certificate and get married somewhere else for the following reasons:





- Every country has different laws governing what a ceremony must consist of


- Every country has different laws about who is allowed to perform the ceremony


- Your friend is most likely only registered to perform the weddings in the one state, which unfortunately is not equal to 'global permission'.





I know that here in the US, a priest, minister, or officiant is only allowed to perform ceremonies in the state they register, otherwise, the marriage is void.





I hope you find a way to sort it out,





Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment