Friday, January 15, 2010

How old did you have to be to get married in the 1960s?

Could women get married when they were 17? Did they need parent/guardian approval?How old did you have to be to get married in the 1960s?
It all depends on the State.How old did you have to be to get married in the 1960s?
Depends on the state you lived in. My Mom said many states permitted marriage at 16 or 17 without parental approval. Another big difference is that you could go to any state to get married, so if not approved in your state, say Massachusettes, you could go to New Hampshire and get married where the age was lower. Can't do that today. The law for no parental approval for under 18 only applies to residents of the state.
They needed parent permission at 17. It depended on the state for minimum age with parent permission. My grandparents married when my granma was 15 and my grandpa was 18. They lived in MO and had to drive to OK because you had to be 16 with parent consent in MO and only 15 with consent in OK.
I have a friend who was married at 15 1/2 in 1964. I believe she had her parents permission because she was pregnant.
Depends on the state, but where I live it was 18 without parent's permission. (Are you a time traveler?)

No comments:

Post a Comment